View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #24
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
ltr--at this point, the way to influence what appears in our recommendations seems to be dependent on what we do on the kobobooks.com home page with the recommendations listings there. EDIT When you make books disappear from the recommendations scrubber on kobobooks.com, they also disappear from your carousel as long as you have another choice (like shortlist) chosen when you do a sync. I understand that at some point in the future we will be able to make similar choices from the Touch--with the opportunity to provide feedback on what appears there and with the recommendations engine learning from that.

I think the "carousel" at the bottom is a work in progress and that the choices available to us will change over time. I don't mind having recommendations as long as they seem tailored to my taste in books--and that seems like it is coming along--compared to what we were seeing in the betas. I would not be surprised to see other possibilities in carousel choices as this feature is developed. Those of us who have hung in there with Kobo know that the company actually listens to customer feedback on things like this and makes incremental changes that reflect that feedback.

I much prefer that process to being presented with a feature that is set in stone and will not be changed until a new device is released a year later. It's a messier process, for sure, and there are often missteps along the way, but I think we end up with a better device as a result of it all.

Last edited by taming; 12-23-2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: See EDIT
taming is offline   Reply With Quote