View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
kharntiitar
kharntiitar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
Calibre Server and Avahi on Ubuntu not quite working as planned

Hi all,

I am having a problem where when I start my Calibre Content server (to use with say, Stanza) it renames my systems broadcasted hostname to;

"hostname-2.local"

Within stanza, I can point to it's IP address and it will work fine, or I can point to hostname-2.local and again, it works fine, however if i tell it to use the library it has found by default, it is actually looking for 'hostname.local'.

This also effects several other things that connect to it using avahi rather than IP (Samba & mysql among others) and look for 'hostname.local' and when I stop the Calibre server, it does not automatically change the hostname back.

After several hours of searching I have only found one other issue that was exactly the same at launchpad but no solution it was just marked as Invalid.

Also, having the Calibre on one of my other systems (OS X) the content server is not an issue, however it is not a feasible choice to host the server all the time.

Is there some sort of setting somewhere that I have missed? or something else that I can do/edit to prevent it from changing the hostname?

Kovid if you happen to read this, Thank you for a fantastic Application, this is the first time I have had even the slightest of issues since I started using it.

*edit

one thing i forgot to mention, I can manually rename the hostname once the Calibre server has started using 'avahi-set-host-name hostname' and then stanza works fine.

Last edited by kharntiitar; 05-19-2011 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Additional info
kharntiitar is offline   Reply With Quote