View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #11
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
The good news is we don't have a set limit. So if it's almost 200 KB, that's not a problem, as long as it is still usable from a user's perspective.
Good. Hopefully, it's usable. Despite that the spoilers add the extra step of having to expand the spoilers first to see any search highlighting, and then the long expanded post is too long to conveniently eyeball for the search highlights.

Quote:
…But we're talking about 200 KB of text content, which compresses very well and which isn't that much compared to the standard size of images used on Websites.
So that's good too.

Quote:
…The best of both worlds might be to include the content in both, the forum post and a copy of it in the Wiki. The Wiki would allow for more formatting than a forum post does.
Pro for wiki article alone. More flexible formatting.

Con for wiki article alone. Anyone can edit a wiki article, which seems unsuitable and unmanagable from my point of view, because the content is intentionally tailored to how I do things as a framework for very specific examples.

Con for forum post alone. Awkwardness of spoilers/searching. Awkwardness of scrolling, I don't consider a con - if it's too much trouble to scroll, don't read it, and a big wiki article would also require scrolling.

Pro for content on forum and wiki. The wiki content might get additional audience.

Con for content on forum and wiki. The markup for forum post and wiki article are entirely different. So unless there is a tool or script for converting markup from bbcode to wiki, each of the frequent revisions would require twice the work for formatting. I'd want to keep the formatting as simple as possible to switch from one type of markup to another, so taking advantage of the additional complexity of wiki markup wouldn't be a benefit. I suppose I could write a script.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You may perhaps misunderstand. We're talking about the MobileRead Wiki - the thing you get to when you click the "Wiki" link at the top of the screen - not Wikipedia. The Wiki is a much better place to put "reference" type information than a forum post.
I was referring to the MR Wiki. Perhaps some of my assumptions about MR Wiki are wrong.

First, I haven't seen anything like the "How I Manage…" post on the MR Wiki.

Second, a wiki article editable by anyone would need a different and multiple-user framework, in which various users could enter their own examples. Since calibre is so flexible and answers different needs for various users, a multiuser framework would be a very different kind of document. Incorporating specific examples from multiple users would engender a lot more confusion. I have a hard time imagining that being as useful as a document that covers examples of needs, strategy, workflow, etc of just one user. Last year I tried to accommodate every user and every case in specific workflows, and that just didn't work. Which is why I let it evolve toward how one person does things. Is how one person does things suitable content for a wiki? It is specific how-i, not generic how-to.

Last edited by unboggling; 10-14-2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: clarify
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote