View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 09:39 AM   #7
vans
Zealot
vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Elonix 621eb, Asus Transformer, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Calibre will also allow you to split each type of book into its own library if that is the way you prefer to go. In this model the different types of books are held in their won folder strucutre, and there is a calibre metadata databse for each library. One use case where different physical libraries really makes sense is where you want different custom columns for the different types of books. Since custom column definitions are stored at the library level this is then the way to go.

Many people prefer to keep all there books in the one library and then use tags to tell the types apart. That way they get a global view of all the books, and also can search across all the books. As has been mentioned the Calibre 'restriction' capability of limiting the visible books to those that satisfy a particular search critieria makes it easy to have virtual libraries within a single physical library.
Thanks, that is interesting. My main problem is old ebooks in .lit format. I have been collecting ebooks since the 1990's but only statrted using Calibre a few days ago. Many of my oldest ebooks are in .lit format and currently have no metadata. Most of my newer ones are in MOBI or ePUB and they are OK. I think for me it would be useful to put all my .lit files into a separate library where I can work on the metadata and when ready bring them back into the main library.
vans is offline   Reply With Quote