View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007, 09:12 AM   #30
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvania View Post
How do you know which books are self-published? There are numerous "vanity presses" who do ebooks, like Xlibris, FirstBooks, iUniverse (actually i believe FirstBooks renamed themselves iUniverse to try to avoid detection as a vanity press). These companies take a fee, usually a few hundred dollars, to accept any book no matter how bad, then put those books through the major ebook feeds.

The titles may look very interesting. But your interest soon dissipates as you find the writing is pure gibberish with 2 to 5 spelling errors on each and every page. I'm not saying every single one is like that, but I have investigated some of these books and a goodly percentage really are that bad.
Well, of course I don't actually *know*, so I said apparently. I could have been clearer about that though. However, sometimes you can just tell based on the cover, the description and the price what's ilikely self-published. If it's something I'm really interested in and there's no sample chapter I'll probably google the author and book to see what comes up.

And I do expect a lot of the self-published stuff is trash (more the pity that they don't have preview chapters) but there's bound to be some gems in there. One I saw that interested me was "A Warlock's Words" by Ben Ezzell, I might just give something like that a chance based on the description. I'm assuming that he's self-published but again, don't actually *know* it.

http://www.amazon.com/A-Warlock%2527...7640513&sr=1-4
carld is offline   Reply With Quote