Thread: Kindle is Ugly
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 07:44 PM   #38
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
Isn't this a massive oversight by everybody involved? I'm sure the next version will have much a much better look/design, but I wouldn't even consider buying this thing until those side buttons were gone.
Well, after using the Kindle for a couple days I have found the side buttons to be a non-issue. It LOOKS like they would be until you use one and find there are lots of ways to hold it that work fine. For example, you can hold your thumb right over the keyboard - in read mode those keys (two on opposite sides at the very bottom) do not do anything. Even those need to be pressed at the same time to unsleep.

As far as picking it up, normally you would not set it down for a very short time and if longer than that, it goes into sleep mode where picking it up any old way can't trigger the page turn as all the buttons but the unsleep buttons are disabled in sleep mode.

As far as ugly, as I have said elsewhere, it is a READER, not a painting or a sculpture so who cares what it looks like as long as it works well as a reader? Unless one is big into appearances and image to the exclusion of actual function, appearance should not matter much at all.

Last edited by CCDMan; 11-28-2007 at 07:48 PM.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote