Thread: ePub Validation
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by odedta View Post
Toxaris:
So in order to create a validated ePub3 that has backwards compatibility I have to include both toc.ncx and toc.html.
About the ePub3 readers, yes there may not be many readers that support this standard, still this market is at it's infancy in my opinion and I am always for upgrading to a better format/system. Thanks for your reply!
The latest and greatest is not always the best. If you do not use the new functionality of ePUB3 in your book, there is no single reason to make it in ePUB3 other than making it very difficult for yourself.
One of the big issues with the ePUB3 standard, is that it does not fix the main issues with regards to ePUB2 that relate to BOOKreading, but does add al kinds of fancy stuff that has nothing to do with books. And the stuff that does gets added that has value (MathML), is mostly ignored by all the programmers that create the reading programs. Heck, Apple's iBooks doesn't support the full ePUB3 specs, but only their own mangled version of it.
So, if you do not need the ePUB3 features, don't use ePUB3. Trust me, you will sleep better...

Also ePUBcheck is a joke. It gives some indication, but even that is debatable. All reading programs have their own interpretation of the standard so it is great if your book follows the specs, but if it isn't readable it is still an issue. Most retailers use their own version of ePUBCheck (or very old versions), making it challenging getting the book to the retailer. Ask Hitch or any other about their experiences. It will make you cry...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote