View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 06:19 PM   #95
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin R View Post
Please let me remind you to once again please stay on topic and follow the guidelines for posting (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/faq...ing_guidelines).

Continued attacks and off topic discussion is not welcome or productive.

Back on topic...

The original poster might want to consider filing with the Better Business Buraeu of Washington State (http://alaskaoregonwesternwashington.bbb.org/)
welcome to Mobile Read where getting off topic our specialty! rarely is staying ON topic an issue. and certainly not fretted about by unvetted unqualified thread wranglers.

Quote:
The original poster believes that they 'have a case' and should be encouraged to peruse any avenue available if they believe they are wronged. The fact that one party, or a group of people, believes that their time is wasted is no reason to not peruse an issue. Within any legal system or regulatory body, both parties believe that they are right and the other is wrong etc. With the logic above, taken to the extreme, all complaints should be dismissed everywhere.
the OP has the makings of a twinkie factory

Quote:
Again, I am shocked and dismayed at the level of hostility to new members of the community, the number of posts has no bearing on the merit of the argument. Perhaps you should also point out the merit less comments from the 1000+ posters? I think you will not.

As for your last, point I can only say that the level of inconsistency exhibited does nothing to help your argument. In one part you want to cave-in and suggest that individuals have no rights given how 'large' a corporation is, then on the other you make the cute statement power to the people.

Back on topic...

To the original poster, if you would like to log a complaint in the UK I would suggest the Office of Fair Trade (http://www.oft.gov.uk/)
99.9% of the new posters here fit right in! so sorry about your bad karma!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
I hadn't heard about this (living in the States, and not getting out much :-)

I was thinking up to this point in the conversation that while I don't use checks much, they're my method of choice for sending money through the mail--to pay bills for example.

I was wondering if you could tell me a bit about how this is handled in Britain. Do you just pay all your bills in person at the appropriate office, or is there a form to fill out to pay by debit card that you then send through the mail?

If you're not interested in explaining to yet another clueless foreigner I understand, and it's okay, but I would be interested in learning a bit more about this facet of outside-my-patch-of-country life.
cat, here in the US I have not used a paper check in over 10 years (other than for really big purchases when you need a bank check). all my bills are paid on-line. even my little Famer's Market here is taking credit/debit cards at most of the stands. so many places DON'T take checks that I've given up. it's either plastic or cash for me. oh! and forget about American Express Traveler's Checks anymore! apparently they are EXTREMELY easy to forge and it is difficult to even get a bank to take them!