View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 04:13 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowsprit View Post
So does anyone know if I delete the library database file, could it get rebuilt from the directory structure and mobi files? or would that completely hose everything?
That depends ...

Calibre does not rebuild the library from the directory structure. You can, of course, import the books again, but you would be importing them as new books. A lot of metadata, especially custom columns, would be lost.

Calibre since release 0.7.21 has stored database recovery information in the library. If you have been running one of these releases, and if it has been able to finish storing the information (around 30 seconds per book), then the answer is a qualified 'yes'. Use the command line restore-database command.

All the above said, I would not assume that the library is the problem. It is more likely that calibre changed and requires some support package to exist or be upgraded. I remember some posts about the change to Qt 4.7 requiring newer graphics packages in some systems.

Before messing with your library:

1) rename your calibre configuration directory so that calibre thinks it needs to create a new library. If this segfaults, then you know it isn't the library.
2) try downgrading to what you had before. Be sure to delete the current installation and any dregs left from your attempt to install from source.
3) go over the change log, looking for support package version changes, checking whether there are problems with those packages on your system.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote