View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #49
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Valid points. But if you are buying a new reader now, for potential use for several years, it wouldn't make sense to me personally to buy something which is, at the time of purchase, "old" technology, unless there was some overwhelming reason to do so, such as a very heavily-discounted sale price.
It depends if the bells and whistles which constitute "new technology" are important to the buyer at hand. When buying something mechanical/technical for my personal needs I pay attention to what it does, not what year that model was "popular"

So, for "open e-reader" where you can sideload books and just read and go, my T2 is absolutely where it's at. I walked INTO the store with a loaded 4GB microsd card, bought the T2, put the card in it, and could use it out of the box, on the bus home. No registering, no hand holding, no fuss, no muss. Took me less than 5 minutes to have the books sorted into collections before I even arrived home.

That, to me, is exponentially more important than whether there are mini lights all over the front of the screen, or whether the "resolution" is higher or there is "whispernet" or whatever. I don't care. If I can read, and can still access the advertised features without announcing to the company that I am the owner of serial number 8DOSIODJKOEIRU or whatever, then I'm happy. Freedom > bells and whistles everytime.

I tried "not registering" my kindle when I bought it, and could not do much with it. Collections was greyed out, and dictionaries weren't even loaded onto it unless I registered that device to my account.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote