View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #15
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I personally have no problem paying a fair amount for backlist titles I want. The problem come in when we look at what I might think is fair and what the pubs think. I'd be perfectly happy paying say $4.99-$6.99. But $15 or more, nope.
I hear you. But the less valuable people perceive these backlist works to be, the less incentive publishers have to put them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Example: Older Star Wars books are being released in digital soon. I'd have happily picked up a few for $5-$7 for nostalgia's sake and maybe even gone as far as new MMPB pricing, but instead the first one is now listed for pre-order at $15...
A great example. The Star Wars books are likely to sell more than the average back list title, but still a lot less than a typical new book. For $15 each, the publisher is willing to put in that kind of effort. If the public rewards the publisher via buying the books in quantity, more backlist ebooks will come out.

If folks simply do not value back list ebooks ENOUGH, then publisher will simply spend their time on other money making activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
When DVD's started taking off movie companies were in a similar situation and managed to put out tons of their back catalogs for reasonable prices (most of the time). Publishers are now faced with a similar challenge. If they do it right it could be a huge boon to their bottom line.
I don't remember those backlist movies being offered for cheap.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote