View Single Post
Old 11-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #39
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
Very strange run for Amazon for me. The phone. The first kindle I was not even tempted to purchase. This thing. Last month they botched some birthday presents deliveries.

I did buy the TV dongle.

Curious where it all heads.
Try this:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_...rnid=386442011

Amazon sells a wide variety of bluetooth speakers and if you look at the prices, a lot of them are priced at $100-200. How well they sell is something Amazon would know well. So if they're getting into the business they must think there is a market for it.

Now, the rest of the gadget is basically "parts bin engineering", bringing in features from their other products: tablets, STB, streamer stick... For example, Echo comes with a voice remote control--probably the same from the FireTV box. In other words, no big investment needed to add the fancy features.

I think it makes some business sense for Amazon to sell one. I'm not buying one myself (I don't need an external speaker for my phone) but there seems to be a market for these things at $100-plus for people who rely on their phone for music so Amazon going to $99 for Prime members is probably going to draw in a few new subscribers.

Amazon has been doing a lot of hiring at Lab126 so where it heads is more... odd... gadgets. I'm expecting a thermostat at some point, along with a home security camera.

Last edited by fjtorres; 11-07-2014 at 11:39 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote