View Single Post
Old 11-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #41
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
derangedhermit said:
Quote:
The key question on the # of shades is why 31 shades for 256-indexed? It's fine if you know why, I just wanted to point it out.
I didn't know, but I do now. That happens if I use Median Cut algorithm to go to 256-indexed. I must have clicked that by mistake, I usually don't use Median Cut, but use Octree, which gives a larger file but better color extrapolation, I think. If I use Octree, the number stays at 221, same as original file.

@Jellby--
The improvement to the aliasing is impressive! Thank you so very much. I never knew that, in fact I understood just the opposite. A long time back on the PSP forum, they told me if I got settings wrong (contrast, recoloring, etc etc) to UNDO and then use the desired settings, and not to repeat the adjustment a second time with new settings to correct the error. I just *assumed* that applied to re-sizing as well. I am so happy to find that was incorrect. (I really do need to get out more, and start getting more educated about image-editing.)

PS -- here is "21-better" compared to "21-BetterWithBlur". Adds a Gaussian blur of lowest possible setting of .5, which does improve it even a bit more, but increases the file size by 1/3. From 297kb to 399kb.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	021_better.png
Views:	222
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	115412   Click image for larger version

Name:	021_betterWithBlur.png
Views:	232
Size:	398.9 KB
ID:	115413  

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 11-18-2013 at 11:58 PM. Reason: spelling error
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote