View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #63
wynand32
Enthusiast
wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Like I said earlier, we don't know if the brightness level on those photos showing bright spots was turned all the way up or at levels you would actually use. I know it may not correspond to the kindle but on my late, unlamented nook Glowlight I rarely turned the light level above one-quarter and almost all the way down reading in bed.

Also cameras tend to be more sensitive to light changes than the eye.
Here's how I would characterize mine after having some more time with it: there's actually a sort of criss-cross hatch pattern starting at the bottom of the screen that can be seen (if you really look for it) for about a fifth of the way up the screen. The pattern is basically a variation between darker and brighter areas (natch), where it looks like there are patches of shadow alternating with bright spots. I remember seeing a description of the technology (it's probably on the Kindle sales page) that shows how the light diffusion changes as you move up the screen, and I'm guessing that's what we're seeing here.

Everyone's eyes are different, of course, but for me it first becomes visible at light setting 13, and becomes less visible starting at about setting 20 (out of 24). Once you hit 21 or so, the entire screen becomes as bright as the bright patches, and so it's no longer as noticeable.

I'm actually torn on whether or not it bothers me. I think other people will be the same, depending on how much they notice such things. I'm someone who, once I see a single dead pixel on a screen, will never be able to un-notice it, and so I suppose I'm pretty sensitive.

I'm going to wait to see if mine is particularly worse than others, and if so, then I'll swap it out. If it's pretty much the same, then I can live with it. As others have noted, it's not perfect, but it's still the best front-lighting tech on the market. Maybe such a thing simply CAN'T be perfected yet, and so this is just the best we'll get for now.
wynand32 is offline   Reply With Quote