View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Odd; Kobo-purchased book reads fine on Desktop, WiFi and Sony -but not on Kobo Touch.

So, about a week ago, I purchased Strange Tales From a Chinese Studio by Pu Songling from the Kobo bookstore.

When trying to read on the Kobo Touch, the cover page doesn't show up after tapping it on the Home page. I tried it several times, and it kept not loading. So, I decided to navigate to the Table of Contents, via dropdown box, to begin reading.

The Table of Contents looks like this (sorry, I don't have a webcam or digital camera, believe it or not:

Cover
Cover
About the Author
About the Author
Title Page
Title Page
Copyright Page
Copyright Page
Contents
Contents

Etc, etc...until you get to

Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio
2: AN OTHERWORDLY EXAMINATION
3: LIVING DEAD

etc...and every strange tale listed individually by title.

Over 100 of these strange tales, as a matter of fact.

Well. Things keep looping about. Long story short, one has to go back to the Table of Contents every time to get to the next thing - because even after every story, it loops back to Acknowledgements, or About the Author, or some such randomness. Um...I'm not going to do this over 100 times.
(Although, trying it again today after last night, when you finish a story, it randomly goes back to some earlier story. And not in predictable order. It went from 15 to 5 today, then to 4, and then to Acknowledgments. Wow; weird.

But here's the thing:

Reads fine on the desktop app; no problems, and no double listings in the Table of Contents, and no weird "looping" (if that's even the correct term) or hopping backwards in the book.

The book reads perfectly fine on my Sony PRS-350; no problems, (just like on my Kobo desktop app).

And this, to me, is the weirdest thing of all:

It reads absolutely normally on my Kobo WiFi. No double entries in the Table of Contents, and no looping or random jumps backwards. So, I'm reading it on my WiFi.

So, okay on Kobo WiFi, but not on the Kobo Touch? Weird. Why, I wonder. But I'd sure be flustered right now it the Kobo Touch was the only ereader I owned.

Is it worth notifying Kobo about this?

Last edited by beautifulsoup; 12-29-2011 at 05:02 PM.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote