View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #70
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Thanks for the responses.

Presently I'm most interested in strategies and methods of use, how other people do things, testing various methods in an effort to determine "best practices" for given needs, particularly my own needs for gathering and managing fiction. So that's what I'm focusing down on as opposed to my other distracting interest in things like coding, documentation, or troubleshooting any specific technical problems.

I'll continue to post about what I'm doing. It's a way for me to automatically correct bad assumptions and practices, sort of nip them as they bud, assuming that experienced users give feedback such as "hey, that's a bad method or assumption due to this-or-that reason. What I do instead is…."

One reason I had some trouble was that after an initial period hanging out here in "learning mode" for a month or two, I went into "doing mode" for months without asking for feedback about my methods, and bogged down in gathering/fixing and some not-very-good methods. In the bigger-picture sense, not the which-button-should-I press-next sense. That's one reason I laid my work habits out there originally. People with a lot more experience dealing with eBooks posting their general strategies for dealing with eBooks helped me immensely. (Such as: fix just before reading makes more sense. Converting everything isn't necessarily good. Go slow.)

And such general strategic advice probably existed in other posts on MR back when I first started - maybe I just wasn't ready or willing to hear it at that point.

Last edited by unboggling; 08-17-2011 at 10:15 PM. Reason: small clarifications