View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #21
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
As for defining a classic: I think the test of "will people still be reading this in 100 years?" is a good one. Of course, for books less than 100 years old, it's a judgement call.

One of my reasons for getting an ereader is to read more classics (the kind that are over 100 years old). Because they are free, and because I don't have to put up with the bad type that some classics are set in (or rather, not set in: where they re-print a book by photographing* an older edition instead of re-setting the type).

I absolutely love One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I have read it twice and I plan to read it again.

I just read Pride and Prejudice for the first time last month. I did enjoy it (and laughed at parts) and I was glad I read it, but I think I would have liked it better if I read it when I was younger. I found the leisure class annoying: I wanted to yell at them to just get jobs. I don't think I would have had that reaction as a teenager. As a teenager, I would have related better to these young women who just want to talk about the next ball.

eP

*I'm sure that photograph is the wrong word, but I don't know what the actual process is. Someone will understand what I'm saying, I hope.
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote