View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 11:49 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
What has Kobobooks recommended for you that's made you giggle or scratch your head?
For me, it's the insistence on recommending romance novels. I read SF, fantasy, some mystery and quite a few other genres though I doubt I'm going to find many other Thorne Smith fans. The romance genre I leave to my wife though I'm beginning to wonder since her comments suggest that many of the new romance novels should come with a plain brown wrapper.

Looking at my top 6 recommendations now, I get:

Fools Rush In by Janice Thompson
The Illiad by one of the Homers
Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
Four Weird Tales by Algernon Blackwood, War and Peace
The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper
The Joy of Sex, Ultimate Revised Edition by Alex Comfort

The first 6 similar to books you're reading are 3 Susan Mallery romances, 2 Nora Roberts romances and a Susan Wiggs romance. The book the similar to what you're reading is based on is A Matter of Magic by Patricia Wrede which is a reissue of Mairelon the Magician and Magician's Ward, a mix of fantasy and Regency romance and one of the few kepubs I've purchased.

My current reads are War Maid's Choice by David Weber, Captain Vorpatril's Alliance by Lois McMaster Bujold and The Bishop's Jaegers by Thorne Smith. I don't see much resemblance to any of the recommnended books though it could be argued that like Anne McCaffrey, many of Lois McMaster Bujold's book are a mix of SF/fantasy and romance.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote