View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #36
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
Okay, my ignorance showing (again) here -- I never even heard of "ADE" until yesterday, in fact! But spurred by your reply here, I found that reader and installed it, and checked my epub in it -- everything seems to come out okay! No problems at all with displaying the font correctly, and although I only skimmed through it quickly, I didn't notice any issues with the lines wrapping in mid-word (due to those special characters) or anything. So that's reassuring.
No offense, but then you didn't try hard enough. I got your words to break just by resizing the reading pane. That's why I told you, it won't work. Don't forget, that ridiculous two-page, fill-the-monitor view that ADE defaults to when it installs bears no relationship to how 99% of the population will see your book, which is in a reader-sized screen: 3.5" by 4.75" with a 1/4" margin all-around.

Quote:
This does bring up a related question, actually. For website design, there's a site somewhere (I forget the URL, off-hand) where one can check one's site in a TON of browsers -- like 20 or 30 or something, both different browsers and different versions of them -- all at the same time.

Is there any kind of site that's similar for checking epubs? Ideally, it would be nice to have an iPad, a Kindle, a Nook, and every other ereader -- but who the hell can afford that? And the "Kindle Previewer", but I really have to wonder if what one sees in that is actually how things look in the real thing. It would be nice if there was a website like that other one for website design.
No. Those of us in the biz full-time do have all of those devices, I'm sorry to say. Somewhere around here is an image of two Maine Coons lounging on about $3K worth of devices, on a (relative to 10 devices and 35lbs of Maine Coons) small table next to my desk in the office.

Quote:
Of course, it would be even nicer if all these manufacturers could just come up with ONE standard -- and then all comply with it, of course.
Dream on. I gave up that bit of idealism about two years ago, when the whole "Apple hijacked the ePUB3 specs" thing became inescapably obvious.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote