View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 11:20 PM   #640
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
I agree, I prefer "pages in chapter" over "pages in book".

But as usual the answer to this, and many other complaints about Kobo's, is "options"! Allow the user to decide for themselves what they want to see by making it an option in the Settings. Then everyone is happy!
That is the only reason I can bear the idea of pages in chapter. When reading pbooks, I frequently flip through to find a good stopping place. With ebooks it isn't as easy. To find how far the next chapter, I use the navigation bar. Press the right-double arrow, look at the page number and then return to my current spot.

I think a large part of the reason Kobo doesn't calculate the full book page number for kepubs is so they don't have to render the complete book.

For epubs, the total page is calculated from the size of the compressed files inside the epub. The file size is divided by 1024 and that is the number of pages in the chapter. The renderer then simply divides the displayed text into that number of pages. That can give wildly different page lengths depending on how well the text compressed and also how much code there is in the file. This also ignores the font and other settings used.

For kepubs, the page numbers are calculated for the chapter at the current font and reader settings. Change those and the pages have to be rendered again and the page numbers recalculate. If this was done for a long book, it could take a lot of time. Plus you run into memory and other issues. And storing this won't help as it is dependent on the font, the size, the margins and line spacing.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote