View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #39
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
Usually people don't buy an Ebook Reader to be impressed or to root it. People buy an Ebook Reader to read some Epub files they get from their local library system (Overdrive, Onleihe, and so forth) and from free resources like Mobileread, for example.

If the Reader is able to do this, that's enough. The Sony Reader is able to do this, it does a good job.

It would be really not that great for library systems and the idea of digital educational systems in general if the Sony Reader would be discontinued. If I'm correct, Sony brought up this digital library systems entirely.

I'm quite unsure what to do now. Maybe I'm going to buy as much T2s and T3s as I can get in the coming months.
I don't think Sony has an exclusive on the library. I think that they decided to use Adobe DRM and abandon their own. I think other manufacturers could do this if they wish (use adobe software to download the books from the library) but they don't want to. So you are probably correct that Sony will remain exclusive for direct library borrowing for a while whether they bought any exclusive rights or not.

I'm fine with sideloading, but I still prefer Sony so far just because it behaves nicer.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote