Thread: Onyx Boox M96
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #55
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
I'd like to comment on the Android vs. Linux subject:

I don't care whether the device runs either of the OS, as long as it does its job well.

Since I'm obviously not using Android on my laptop and desktop workstations, I'd rather run Linux on my ereader, too - just so I don't have to become acquainted with yet another OS.

On the other hand - contrary to what happens on my computers - I don't really see a reason to become acquainted with my ereader's OS beyond being able to use it.

I'm not planning to hack it, and for the unlikely case that I wish to write my own application, it really doesn't make a difference (that I need to learn a new toolkit and wouldn't use "C" aside) - on a higher level the underlying OS is irrelevant to the developer.

However - despite my indifference to the subject - I can't relate to the reasons that zeng gives.

The main advantage of Android is that its Shell/UI is tailored towards touch devices and well integrates gestures. Linux X.org's input stack is designed for keyboard and mouse input, but can easily be made respond to gestures. No problem there.

What strikes me most, though, is that Android offers no real advantages with regard to the e-ink device. Quite the contrary!

zeng, I don't reckon that I can change your mind on the subject, but I'd like you to know that you're letting a great opportunity got to waste. For your company as the open source movement alike (and latter is what bothers me most)!

With http://wayland.freedesktop.org/ Wayland you're served a modern, clean approach to a display server on a silver plate. If your or just any company spent the man-hours that your company currently spends on hacking solutions into the Linux kernel or userspace on developing a proper (GPL'ed) E-ink solution on the kernel side which makes it into mainline, you would practically lead development of Eink on linux and every Linux application would readily be available to any Eink user.

I'm not so euphoric as far as Android is concerned. Mostly, because I don't see where Android is going at all. To me, Android is still not much more than Linux' little, incompatible brother and I'd rather if companies which do not have immediate advantages of it stick to using Linux.

Ultimately, Onyx will ask, what's in for them. I'd argue there is as much in that deal as there is in using Android. Similarly, there is as much in developing closed source as GPL'ing it and benefiting from the contributions from the community.

The Open Source community is well connected, and we keep damn well track of which companies do work towards Open Source and which don't. The return for Onyx should be self-evident.

Last edited by ManDay; 12-07-2013 at 08:51 AM.
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote