View Single Post
Old 12-24-2010, 04:10 AM   #1
Fastolfe
Bookworm
Fastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony PRS-650
E-paper screen contrast is about right

I was showing my Sony Reader (Eink pearl display) to my coworkers yesterday, and several commented that the background was more gray than white. They even compared the screen to a printed A4 sheet (something we produce a lot of here) and indeed the difference is striking.

But then I compared the screen to a few books I keep at work to read at lunchtime, and I realized the background of these books is far from white too, more something between light gray and light yellow.

Of course, it makes sense to use a soft contrast on printed novels: these books are for peaceful entertainment, not like business printouts and textbooks that have a bright white background to promote the crisp, aggressive display of utilitarian information. This may also be why I never really liked reading printed-out ebooks as much as "proper" books. It makes sense to me now, but funnily enough, I never realized it before.

So I'd say Eink "pearl" displays are almost right for reading a novel. Perhaps they could be a tad whiter, but I wouldn't want them much brighter than what they are now. Would you?

Or even better, they could create E-paper with enough shades of gray that the background could be adjusted from screaming white (to read technical documents, newspapers and textbooks) to soft, creamy, I'm-about-to-fall-asleep-on-my-book kind of white to read novels by the fireplace.
Fastolfe is offline   Reply With Quote