View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #160
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
With regard to the masses not caring: the only thing that their ignorance will get them is a bunch of problems, somewhere down the line, as pdurrant already says.

As for me: I don't care about buying or licensing. After I pay for something, it's mine. In case of a book, or ebook, then I own the paper or the file. In case of software, I own the CD or downloaded file. I know I don't own the content or the source code, but I own the right to use the product. And use it I will, as long as I see fit; 2 days, 5 years or 20 years. If I can't make sure of that with a product, for example with some Ubisoft games that need permanent online authentication (server gone == game unplayable), then I will never buy it.

The only exception would be software I intend to replace in 5-6 years anyway (or even sooner), after it's official support ends and it becomes too old to be useful, such as an operating system.

Edit: I know I can't ever be 100% sure, because old software may not run on new operating systems... Luckily I have a permanently activated (legal) Windows XP that runs all my 1995-2001 games perfectly in a virtual machine, should I ever want to play them on an OS that doesn't support them

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-13-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote