View Single Post
Old 06-20-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
The problem has nothing to do with whether Kovid is "getting weary of it" -- if he's weary of anything, it's of people who don't understand that calibre manages their books, and want to reach inside it and mess with calibre's files.
The OP understands this. That is why he created the thread.

Quote:
Personally, I'd vote for using numerical folder names, rot-13 shifting the file names, and giving them cryptic extensions, so that users would keep their grubby hands out.
As I read his words:

Quote:
One such plugin could store all the information in a single opaque file and maintain the calibre-visible filesystem inside it.
They match up with yours as well.

Quote:
Calibre is ready and willing to export any books you happen to want externally as files of your preferred format.
He understands this, your normal well thought out points are getting lost in the fact this is not one of those discussions. It is more a development philosophy question. I bet if built from scratch today, Kovid might well create an abstraction layer plugin system. It would make doing your idea of rot-13 shifting the file names easily doable and provide a great deal of flexibility.

Quote:
Why is it, by the way, that it is people who want changes to this one aspect of calibre, and only the people who want those specific changes, think that insulting Kovid (and by extension the other calibre developers) is the way to go about it? We've had a bit of a break lately, but at one point we were getting post like that every week or two, ranging from direct, in-the-face insults to insinuations like yours that the only reason Kovid doesn't change calibre to work the way you want it to is that he's lazy or just bored with it.
The OP was relating as a programmer and not implying any insults. There have been no insults in this thread.

Quote:
I expect that from 10-karma newbies, not from someone who's been here longer than most of us (and way, way longer than me).
Until now.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote