View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 09:20 AM   #190
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyzazz View Post
Hi Difflugia. Finally got some time to try this. Typically stumbling at the first hurdle. Running LINUX off Lubuntu 13.10, so have gone from PREPARE YOUR WORKING DIRECTORY straight to PREPARING THE FILES. Have got the following messages:-

office@office-desktop:~$ mkdir vox
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘vox’: File exists
office@office-desktop:~$ cd vox
office@office-desktop:~/vox$ mkdir superuser
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘superuser’: File exists
The "File exists" messages just mean that you've done this part before (the directories already exist, so it's warning you that you're trying to create a new copy). They shouldn't cause you problems. If you want to start from scratch, you can erase the direcories that you created:

Code:
cd
rm -rf vox
Quote:
office@office-desktop:~/vox$ cd superuser
office@office-desktop:~/vox/superuser$ unzip ../Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip
unzip: cannot find or open ../Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip, ../Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip.zip or ../Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip.ZIP.
I'm guessing here that the file was downloaded to another directory somewhere, but the command above assumes that it was downloaded into your vox directory. If I had to bet, it's probably in your home directory. Try changing the "../Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip" to "~/Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip" (change the ".." to a tilde "~"). The ".." means look in the parent of the current working directory. The current working directory is "vox/superuser", so it'll look in "vox". The tilde means to look in your home directory.

Quote:
office@office-desktop:~/vox/superuser$ mkdir superuser
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘superuser’: File exists
office@office-desktop:~/vox/superuser$ cd superuser
office@office-desktop:~/vox/superuser/superuser$ unzip ../Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip
unzip: cannot find or open ../Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip, ../Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip.zip or ../Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip.ZIP.
office@office-desktop:~/vox/superuser/superuser$

I am obviously doing something basically wrong. I have been cutting and pasting your boxed instructions. Should I put in each line individually followed by a return? I know it sounds basic, but I am a true novice, even though I have been through a couple of Youtube tutorials. I would love to complete this challenge - please help, if you get time.

Thanks,
Roberto.
It looks like you're entering the commands correctly (each line followed by return). I know I said this in the instructions, but make sure that you can do the parts where you have to identify the device names for the memory cards. You won't be able to do a straight cut-and-paste on any line with "/dev/[anything]" unless your hardware setup is quite similar to mine.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote