Thread: Game of Thrones
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #80
bloodlover
Enthusiast
bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I've started reading A Game of Thrones not long ago and I am down to 51% (I wish my kindle would tell me exact number of the page...). I saw the HBO show so I know what happens but seeing all the hype around the author and series I decided to start reading it. Sadly it's not as good as I was expecting. Except the imp, Jon and maybe Arya, all the characters are annoying and shallow. Ned, Sansa and rest of the Starks are so terribly boring...

Another thing that bothers me is the lack of details. It seems that mr. Martin only bothered to give description just to the looks of the characters and the way they are dressed, leaving aside a lot of stuff that might be worth mentioned. Like elaborate legends of places or weapons, or the life of common people and their ways. I am glad whenever Daenerys is mentioned since her setting is much more interesting than the halls in King's Landing or Winterfell.

I also don't understand why mr. Martin didn't put magic in his books but still bothers to refer to it or magical creatures. What's the point of mentioning air wizards, manticores or rune enchanted armors since he does not give the reader any more info on them except vague mention in a passage.

There are many more things left to be said and I have not even finished the first book. I'll keep reading though since I have a lot of free time and the books have been on my "to read" list for some time now.
bloodlover is offline   Reply With Quote