View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 02:49 AM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamadams View Post
I think it's great - even just as a reference point for what a cover shouldn't be. I don't really care if he uses it to advertise his own services. It's his site - and clearly his services are needed!
I am with jamadams on this one. We see scads of truly awful covers come through here, and I try very hard not to say a word, although on rare occasions, I have. Bad covers are even more prevalent than bad fiction or bad books in general, and that's saying a lot.

If you think that a lot of the wrong people believe that they are writers, you haven't hung out around people applying for cover design work yet. When I post ads seeking new talent, the responses I receive from folks who really believe (like the guy/gal who did the one with the rat, the pelican and the "neanderthal" in the boat) that they're ready for nearly-prime-time inundate our inboxes. And most of what we get for portfolio shots is just...painful.

If you like constructive critcism, try "Your Cover Uncovered," http://yourcoveruncovered.blogspot.com/ , but I admit I have a sad addiction to laughing at truly bad covers. I know: it makes me a lousy human being. But in my defense, I'd point out that I sift through dozens of new manuscripts for production daily; in scrutinizing them for quotes, I inadvertently read a lot of them, and my poor brain needs an outlet. Thus, I confess, this guy slays me: http://causticcovercritic.blogspot.com.au/

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote