View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #7
westy
westy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.westy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.westy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.westy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.westy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.westy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.westy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.westy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.westy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.westy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.westy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Wikipedia states that anything over 40k is "novel" length.

I actually prefer 40-80k novels, for both reading and writing. Nothing makes my heart sink more than a 100+k novel, because that usually means a time commitment I don't have. So it's really a subjective, "different strokes for different folks" kind of thing.
anamardoll - yes, I think you have hit the target - depends on the market. I have noticed 'chick-lit' is generally shorter, maybe because of the time commitment you mention - ideal to settle down with a coffee have and it polished off in maybe 2 - 3 sittings.

Then there's the folks who like to pass a whole week on a single book.

My target market is young adults - so I'm thinking it may be the 80k - 100k mark. Unless anyone else knows better!
westy is offline   Reply With Quote