View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxczxc View Post
is possible to protect ourselves, that if the kindle is in this situation, (in diagnostics mode? i'm not sure...), that usbnet would be active, even if you made it wifi only?
so even if i have the rescue pack installed, but my usbnet is set to wifi only, i am forced to use wifi to fix my kindle?
The two partitions of the flash, mmcblk0p3 (/var/local/*) and mmcblk0p4 (/mnt/us/* or 'kindle:/*' as seen by the user) are **used in common** by both the 'Main' and the 'Diags' mode.

Persistent information which is required for the system to 'operate as expected' (or even 'operate' at all) is stored in the common /var/local.
Like, things required to make your Wifi connection work.

You manually 'zapped that'. Smooth move dude.

The persistent information about which interface or interfaces on which to bring up the ssh daemon is stored in the USB storage area (/mnt/us).

You did not manually zap that.

So you have to either re-populate one or de-populate the other.

If you still have a functioning 'diags' mode - you can try exporting the user storage area and un-setting that 'AUTO' start on wifi-only setting(s) in the USB networking package.
Removing any added fonts in this case would be a good idea (tm) also.

OR

Try a 'complete re-boot' (cold start) of the system kernel.
Hold the power switch for at least 20 seconds, 30 seconds would not hurt.
If the cold start functions detect the fouled up /var/local, it may rebuild it for you - including the information needed for the Wifi interface to once again work.

If neither of the above work - get out your serial port cable.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote