View Single Post
Old 08-22-2011, 12:50 AM   #141
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
I'm currently working on identifying additional issues that could be resolved with some discussion here. The first recent issue was about format quality of multiple formats in one record. Here's another issue:

Issue 2. Human readability versus dense information for tags and metadata in other columns. Contributing factor, ability to use search box competently on-the-fly. Contributing factor, desire to use grabbed info from sources versus desire to use one's own scheme for tags or other metadata. I'm a new user, and I use my own scheme densely with abbreviations taking up less space because I'm not that comfortable searching on the fly yet and I prefer not to have to scroll through a foot or two of text in a 2 inch column, or to have lots of columns I can't see hanging off the display in either direction. I rely on browsing the booklist and sorting by different columns a lot rather than depending on search box for everything, until I gradually grow more comfortable with search. And so on.

I need some input from new users. Please post about this issue, or private message me, to help me revise that part of KISS. Do you like your calibre metadata abbreviated and dense in the library booklist, or spread out? Are you comfortable with search box, or relying on tag browser for most things like I did the first 3 or 4 months? Were you confused and aggravated at lack of consistency in tags from outside sources, or it doesn't matter? Do you want to use your own tag scheme, or even borrow someone else's tag scheme if it looks consistent and useful? Are there other ways you deal with these things?

Maybe in the future I'll expand all of my dense abbreviations into "human readable" expanded words, when I'm more comfortable using search for everything. Switching over to that would be fast and easy, a few hours renaming things maybe, depending on number of renamings involved. So right now I'm trying to get a feel for how other new users like to handle it, or if you've even thought about it or worried about it or not.

Also please post or send me private message if you have anything to say about the previous format quality issue, or anything else that seems pertinent to this thread.

Last edited by unboggling; 08-22-2011 at 07:36 AM. Reason: clarify