View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #97
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
You see the final fallback argument many ofl these anti-DRM types use is something like "Don't make them mad. You can't stop them. "

Well, it is true I can't stop a thief with a gun, a knife or a brick from taking my money if he gets the chance, but I can sure make it as difficult as possible. And if he complains "Why don't you just give me the money and save me all this trouble?" I will laugh at him just like I do with the Anti-DRM types.

A thief is a thief.
A thug is a thug.
Wow, this statement is so blatantly ignorant and argumentative that I actually had to read it twice to make sure that it wasn't some sort of subtle sarcasm. This is the sort of attack that turns people on the fence completely against anything intelligent that you might have had to say. You say "anti-DRM types" as if anyone who is against DRM is an ignorant thug bent on spreading piracy and taking money out of the pockets of authors. The truth is that most of us "anti-DRM types" want to be able to read our books without worrying about weather the file type will become extinct, or the DRM will be supported by our next device, or whatever.

I have said over and over again that I am 100% in support of some way other than relying on the honor of the reader to protect intellectual property rights, but that DRM is not the right answer. I have said that piracy, even casual file sharing, is a bad thing. I have never said that authors and publishers should just turn a blind eye to piracy and hope for the best. Many of the folks on here have agreed with me or made similar statements. I find it amazing that during this extended, and slightly off topic, debate that while several people have expressed a willingness to at least consider an alternative to completely unprotected books that you could come up with a statement that is almost guaranteed to entrench people in their beliefs.

As I have said before there are pros to DRM (the prevention of casual file sharing, creation of enforceable customer loyalty, etc.) and there are cons (the inability to use a book on any chosen device, the very real possibility of a DRM scheme no longer being supported, etc.). Those of us in the anti-DRM crowd feel that the cons greatly outweigh the pros, but we are in no way advocating a surrender of the market.

An open dialogue is important to the advancement of any technology or cause, but if you just piss off the people who are in opposition to your ideas then nothing changes. Intentional or not, your statement comes across as if you are saying that anyone who is against DRM is a fool who believes that piracy and theft are inevitable. I've never had anyone change my mind by telling me that I am a fool.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote