Thread: Sad Sigil news?
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #136
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
I have been browsing through the sigil code and see the major problem with sigil naintenance. NO PROPER DOCEMENTATION!!!

Unless the programmer thinks, eats, breathes, and dreams in C++, understanding what is going on is very difficult and not being totaly knowledgeable in the general functioning (epub operations) maintaining the code will be a huge learning curve.
If there is indeed no documentation, then it would be almost impossible to pick up this project except for a programmer who has, as you say, a lot of experience in writing C++ (I have that), a lot of knowledge of the libraries Sigil uses (I have, with regard to BOOST, but none with regard to QT or other frameworks or components used), and good knowledge of the EPUB spec (I have none).

Quote:
Each modile should be accompanied by a pseudo code file defining and demonstrating the desired inputs, outputs, and data manipulation to be performed.
Maybe the pseudocode is a bit much, but a description of the main functions and objects would indeed be helpful... however, it's hard to fault user_none for not making that documentation, as it costs a lot of time. Even (very) big companies often omit vital documentation (because it costs time that can't be spent on the product itself), not realising that replacing a programmer/designer that leaves the project becomes virtually impossible later on.

I've been in such a situation a few times; required to replace someone within a few weeks, coding in a language and using frameworks I've never seen before, with no documentation with regard to project, program and database structure (if databases are used). I could never do it. It's impossible to AND learn the language AND it's default library, AND the third party frameworks AND find out how the entire project works, in just a few weeks if there is no documentation whatsoever.

As I said; I can't fault user_none for not making any documentation (as he doesn't need it, being Sigil's only maintainer), but if there is indeed none, then I don't expect Sigil to be picked up by anyone else... ever. Sadly enough.

Last edited by Katsunami; 10-03-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote