View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
9littlebees
Connoisseur
9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice

Device: Sony Xperia Arc; Kobo Glo
Functionality

FUNCTIONALITY
Work in Progress, finished soon...

MEMORY CARDS
Using microSD cards to store & access eBooks, and also interact with Calibre (using both generic & branded, plus new and used cards)

EPUBs VS KEPUBs
I've mentioned in other parts of this review where the main differences between EPUB and KEPUB have cropped up, but allow me to recap here.
Essentially, if you want books to display nicely on the Glo, you have to be prepared to accept that only Kobo epub files (aka kepub's) are going to cut the mustard.

To put it briefly, these "official" ebooks will allow you to:

Functional differences between epubs and kepubs (also, kepubs vs "official" epubs, i.e. purchased from WH Smith)

SIDELOADING EPUBs & MOBIs
Purchasing non-standard books and ease of converting & sideloading (inc Amazon, Google, Smashwords, BOB, B&N). Also functionality with side-loaded eBooks, including epubs, PDFs, CBRs, CBZs, etc.

FORMATTING PRIORITIES
Do eReader settings override font, justification, line spacing, margin widths, etc if these are set in an eBook?

ADD-IN FONT HANDLING
Add-in (i.e. non-standard) font handling

LIBRARY EPUBS
Thankfully, I have been a member of the local library service for the city I live in for a number of years, and they are one of the relatively few places in the world to offer an ebook library service for free!
How it works (at least with Libraries West) is that you browse their library for a book that you would like to check out. Just like in a normal library, however, there are limited copies, and these can be checked out at any time.

For my library (and I have no idea whether this is standard or regulated in any way), you have the option of renting an ebook for a maximum of 21 days. Once that time limit is finished,

ADOBE DIGITAL EDITIONS
Compatibility with Adobe Digital Editions, including ease of syncing with the Glo, and exporting ebooks, data, etc from ADE to the Glo

CALIBRE EPUBs
Format handling when reading epubs converted by Calibre. Can a Glo's library be organised from within Calibre, without issues?

SHELVES
Functionality of "shelves" and support for it outside of the device, also do shelves have full functionality with ebooks stored on a microSD

SCREEN DISPLAY WHEN ASLEEP/OFF
In sleep/off mode, are epub book covers properly full screen right away, or do they require editing in Calibre? Does the last book read show, or is it the book before last, or other?

DOES RESTARTING WIPE ANY SETTINGS?
Are any features / configurations lost upon restarting the device? So far, only light on status observed.

BATTERY TEST
After other elements of review are finished, fully charge battery then test battery life with light left switched on continuously. Duration of full recharge, following full discharge.

Last edited by 9littlebees; 01-03-2013 at 06:13 PM.
9littlebees is offline   Reply With Quote