View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #32
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I'd like to go back to my Sony readers. I loved (and my wife loved after she inherited it from me) my Sony 505. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of trying to replace the battery myself and destroyed the device. But my Sony 950 keeps on going and my wife has inherited that, as I moved to the Nook tablet. As much as I really like my Nook Tablet (what I like is shopping at B&N rather than the Sony ebookstore), as a dedicated reading device, my Sony 505 was and 950 is far superior.

But I'd be happy to go back to the Sony if the device was worthwhile and it was easy to directly load (sideload is fine) books bought from B&N without having to strip DRM. If Sony's tenure in the ebook business is contingent on selling enough hardware, then it needs to create a more open device. If its tenure is contingent on growing its ebook store in the United States, I think it will not last in the ebook business. If it's tenure is contingent on growing its ebookstores outside the U.S., it might last.

The biggest problem is that most buyers of readers buy a reader that is connected to the ebookstore at which they do or want to do their book buying. In that game, Sony really lags.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote