View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #39
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I guess I don't see the problem with authors reviewing books by other authors. First, it is disingenuous to say that each book is unique and then to say the books are widgets. Either each book is unique or every book is substitutable for every other book.

Second, it assumes that authors don't read books by other authors and that they are always liars. I would be very disappointed to discover that the only book an author has ever read is the book he or she wrote.

Third, it says that reviews by authors are less honest than reviews by so-called readers, you know, the people who give a review even thought they have never read the book but who are not themselves authors.

Seems to me it would be better to require the authors who write reviews of another author's books to identify themselves by their real names and to list the book they authored that is in competition with the book under review. Then a reader could give the review whatever weight they thought appropriate, just like they do with the 1-star reviews complaining about pricing.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote