View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I am (substantially) more likely to buy a book I know doesn't just fade-to-black every time the characters start getting intimate. (I'd mention my personal limits, but so far I haven't found any; several years of fanfic reading have left me with a frightening level of understanding of human anatomy & emotional reactions to touches applied thereto.)

If you look at the sales numbers, it's obvious that romance sells, erotica sells, and everything between kiss-to-cigarette and [censored] has its market--and those markets aren't small. They just may not be your *previous* market.

The self-publishing marketplace means we no longer have corporate decision-making about what content does or doesn't fit in what genres. The questions should be, is it important to the plot & characters? Does it enhance the story? Is it well-written?

Not, "will it offend or shock readers who expected this to fit in the same style conventions they've gotten used to for this genre?"
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote