View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #164
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Basically, the day after the printing press was invented people were making copies and publishers were concerned about those copies being sold for less than what they were charging.
I just borrowed Piracy: The Intellectual Property Wars from from Gutenberg to Gates (2009) from the Philadelphia Library -- as an eBook -- and defer any comment on the accuracy of your comment until I've read up on the fifteenth century. If the book proves boring, I won't finish it, but I think I can get that far

Quote:
As long as there is a payment link in the text that trackbacks to the author.
Most books I read are created not just by an author, but by a team often including an editor, cover art artist, typography designer, proofreader, index creator, translator, agent, etc., etc. This means that the voluntary payment you suggest has to go not to an author, but to the organization that got all those people together. Since you must know that it takes a proverbial village to create most non-fiction books (and some fiction), why do you exclusively focus on the author?

As few are the people who would voluntarily donate to authors, even fewer will donate to a full-service publisher. Yes, a few people would, just as a few donate to their Linux distribution. But the more organizations are out there asking for donations, the less money each will get.

I'm all for donations as an optional business model, so long as the remaining options aren't limited to living off your spouse and starvation.

Quote:
The above does not advocate piracy.
This is semantics. I think that by now you know what copyright advocates mean when they use the word piracy. And you advocate changing the law to allow it.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 10-21-2012 at 09:11 PM.