View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The first time I saw a Kindle was on an aeroplane some years ago, flying out of Heathrow for, I think, Schiphol.

It was my brother's, a man who travels extensively on business. Which means a lot of air time, which means a lot of books to kill time. Which means a Kindle (or of course any equivalent--it just happened to be the sort he owned). He has a wide assortment of books, including short story collections, constantly changing, on his device, ideal for short or long-haul flight.

As for taking books on holiday--are they kidding me? I don't takes books on holiday; I can sit and read at home. Holidays are where I go do something different, whether it's fell-walking in UK, exploring New York on foot, goggling at puffins in the Hebrides, or sitting at a sidewalk cafe in Italy enjoying good food, good conversation, good wine and good company. I used to pick up a book at the airport bookstore before a flight (it's a long haul from Australia to UK), but strictly for inflight reading.

I can't really grasp the idea that what I should do on a holiday is sit in a chair and read a book.

I'm right there with fjtorres: what the survey says is that 21 percent would prefer to take an e-reader. That's a surprisingly large number. Way up from the first time I saw a Kindle in action some years ago, when my brother's was probably the only one on the 737.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote