View Single Post
Old 06-07-2014, 08:56 AM   #140
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
In the last time I'm guilty of participating in the polls but rarely contributing in the discussions too, but this is mostly a time problem. I seem to read a lot slower and when I finally finish the book all the wise things have already been said! But I'm nevertheless reading all the books, so perhaps there are some other "silent" readers out there too.
Despite good intentions, I've missed out some months, and without a good excuse (I have borrowing privileges at the local university and availability has never been an issue); it's mostly down to poor time management. In other words, I screwed up. That said, we all can tell the difference between the kibbitzers and the players.

I can only echo Bookpossum's comment about those of you for whom English is not your first language. Sam Goldwyn's two words apply to my ability to participate in a book club on that basis: im-possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
I don't want the club to be "closed" to others, but I am very very jealous of the literary aspect of it. It is opening my horizons every month, and I don't want to give that up.
Absolutely. As with everyone here, finding something to read is not a problem for me, but I largely read what I know, or can think up, at any rate. I have been incredibly enriched by the books I've read here outside my own particular parameters.

Quote:
I had ccowie in mind (I have not checked, but I think s/he nominated first), whom I did not know before he joined us,
ccowie is indeed a very valued partcipant! We wouldn't be having this discussion if those who voted for the loser, or some of them, had been interested enough in the club to participate.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote