View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
review
Addict
review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.

Device: 903
Bugtracker - Pocketbook Pro - 2.0.5

I open a new thread as the other stick thread was quite mixed up with other models.

One of the news in 2.0.5 is that they have now changed the RSS reader. Well, I worry not to the better. I guess they ported one program called elinks (which is a text based web browser) to be used in their RSS reader. Now, if you read the news, it will be directly opened in this new webbrowser which starts quite fast etc. so that is all good so far. You will then see the entries and can select the individual items and you will get the full article.

However, the bug is the following which almost makes the RSS reader worse than what we had.

You cannot read the downloaded news while being offline.

It is a major bug but easy to fix. It is just a little thing they forgot. Here comes the story:
You download the latest news and the reader asks you to go online to get the news. The news are downloaded. They are now stored as hrss files and actually contain the content of the feed as in previous editions (without the full article).

Now, when you select this hrss file (from the directory news) you will be asked if the reader can go online again. If you say yes, all is fine and the downloaded news will be displayed. If, however you say no you will get an "unkown error" and nothing happens.

So what do we have now? Downloaded news which cannot be displayed while travelling as you need an internet connection. So with this current version more is lost than gained compared to the January version of 2.0.4.

This is easy to fix for the GiK, just ask to go online if someone goes to an EXTERNAL address not the local filesystem. But if it's right that it all is based on elinks (which I believe is also GPL) we will get the source code anyway in the next 14 days and we can fix it ourselves.
review is offline   Reply With Quote