View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 06:36 AM   #3
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
"Using phrasing that is comfortable for your readers" seems to me to be covered in the other five elementary rules.

We could perhaps talk about using informal levels of language and simple sentence structure, but I think Orwell left that out because he didn't want to be too prescriptive or encourage formulaic writing.

A cliché only seems to express an individual writer's POV. A thought becomes original when it is formulated in original language.

Self-published e-books and blogs are great options for everyone, including people who have never been published before. It's moving to see so many distinct and even anomalous faces.

Unfortunately, clichés render those faces expressionless.

I want their expressions to have expressions.

The saddest thing about the internet might be the abundance of clichés. Too many of us have mistaken overuse for consensus and consensus for truth.

And of course, the conflation of opinion with reporting is not unrelated to the substitution of clichés for thought.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-05-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote