View Single Post
Old 06-29-2008, 05:51 PM   #35
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Interesting how different things appeal to different people. "Road to Damascus" is one of my favourite SF books. Superb, IMHO.
Hmmm... My problem with it is mainly that I didn't notice the author was John Ringo until too late. I thought it was going to be a Bolo story. But it turned out to be a John Ringo story that borrowed the name Bolo for one of the main characters

I don't generally mind Ringo all that much; his plotlines are usually exciting and he writes battles well. But some of his writing ticks really started to bother me after reading a few of his novels.

For example, his habit of injecting contemporary US conservative views into his science fiction novels is up at L.Neil Smith levels of annoying. And the way he puts domination into his sex scenes is awful. I'd love it if it were done in a sexy way, but he wastes so much time explaining sub/dom that it comes off more like a Wikipedia article instead. In one of his books he is gimmicky enough to have one of his characters make fun of him as an author of trashy potboilers. Ugh!
radius is offline   Reply With Quote