View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 09:45 AM   #45
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I would be up for reading, and then discussing, Wicked also. The two leaders do not really interest me at all. It would have to be after I finish Rabbit Boss and Bleak House though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
And a fable based on an allegory, at that. The MGM movie has trumped the book in the public imagination, but The Wonderful Wizard of Oz was more than just a children's fantasy book, although obviously it works on that level. On a deeper level, it's a protracted allegory about populism and the political issues of the day. I've forgotten most of the symbolism, but the yellow brick road is a metaphor for the gold standard, and it's trampled by Dorothy's silver slippers; the populists were in favor of silver. The slippers were changed to ruby in the movie because it was so pretty in technicolor and it's worth remembering other significant changes in the movie, including the mandatory spectacles in the Emerald City and that it wasn't a dream.

I'd love a mini-discussion about Wicked. Let's talk dates--sometime while it's still summer, I hope.
How about August 1st? That would give us a month to read it, and The Wizard of Oz, too, if anyone wants to compare the versions.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote