View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #34
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Thanks Lazer. Yes, I understand that the bullets aren't going to go far - I was assuming/hoping they'd probably make it out of the barrel. I wasn't interested in hitting anything, only in demonstration. Any guesses on how the ammunition itself is going to hold up at (say) 1000ft (450psi water pressure) ?
I'm way beyond my area of expertise at this point. But to begin with, military ammunition is manufactured to something called mil-spec, at least U.S. military ammo. You can probably find out what its specific pressure standard is with some serious Googling. I do know it includes painting the primer/casing edge with a sealer to prevent moisture from getting inside (at reasonable depths).

All U.S. made military small-arms ammunition utilizes brass casings. I'm going to assume that at 450 PSI it'll show signs of crushing. It might still chamber in the firearm and would be somewhat safe to fire. Most ammunition manufactured in Russia, China and other eastern producers (for the AK47 and such) use soft steel for the cases. I don't know if it would fare any better.

L
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote