View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 09:55 AM   #254
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@unboggling - you seem to have a "bit of an obsession" about the format internal metadata....

Personally I don't think recommending people use Save to Disk instead of Copy to Library is the right thing. I understand it may be a preference you have but I don't see a valid reason for it when transferring between your own local libraries and there are too many downsides depending on the format.
OK. I hear you. I'll make it less of a "recommendation" in the next KISS/workflow posts. You're right, most people don't want to worry or think about all that, so I'll tone it down. But I do think about it. I did this as just good hygiene, when going from one library to another, to set the metadata in those internal fields. Because, if those books are Copied to Library rather than Save/Adding, that metadata doesn't get set when going from the fix-it library to the storage library. So in a sense they are in an incomplete state. And will stay that way forever, because once in storage library, any convert, save, or send will only update those internal fields on a copy, not the original sitting there in incomplete state forever. I understand the way people use calibre, that doesn't matter. But it bothers me.