View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #370
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunixer View Post
It is still a worthwhile measuring stick. Since we are only measuring against the total number of books in this same collection, with this same search, we can see the growth. It may not tell us what the real number is, but it does tell us what the real growth is. More importantly, it's a great time waster. Oh, by the way, we're over 800,000!

I agree that the total is a worthwhile statistic, just as a way of tracking 'progress'. In the end, however, all that matters is whether the book I'm interested in is available or not.

I doubt we could agree on 'what needs to be weeded out', but I would be interested in some other numbers, or at least estimates based on sampling. Some numbers are easier to derive than others. Some that I'd be interested in are:

- # topaz vs azw
- # TTS enabled vs disabled
- # agency pricing vs non-agency pricing
- # free books
- # over vs under $9.99
- 'average price' (excluding free books), using some sampling algorithm

Some of these things can be done with ereaderiq.com (jungle-search's Kindle-specific search), but others would require some r&d.

BTW this thread used to be 'sticky'. Can we get it that way again?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote