View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #22
Nitnat
Nitnat began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
I have only experience with a Nexus 7-2013 and the iPad 2 (which is slower than the 2012 version of the N7), and honestly, if you felt that the tablet felt sluggish when reading PDFs, there is a snowball-in-hell chance that you'd be comfortable with viewing PDFs on an e-ink reader. (Sony is working on a 13" one, but I expect it to be rather costly.)

The regular iPads are 9.7", and quite good for PDFs. Not so much because of the screen size, but because of the aspect ratio: 4:3 is much closer to DIN-A4/letter format than the 16:10 of the Nexus 7. The iPad Mini is just short of 8", and also has an aspect ratio of 4:3. But yes, both the mini and the regular iOS devices are relatively expensive for what they offer. If you opt for a mini, definitely wait for the next model. The current one's hardware is pretty dated.
You're probably right regarding the performance. Especially because I deal A LOT with scanned articles / books and scrolling, zooming/adjusting is always necessary.
I just checked on 4:3 Android tablets but apparently only Chinese off-brand companies seem to think that's a good idea. Which is beyond me, honestly!

I might give the new Nexus 7 a shot, I checked it out today in a store and apart from the size the new display is stunning. The test pdf I had also seemed to be loaded fast enough.
It is apparently the only device in this price range that comes close to a solution for my problem.

Thanks a lot for your input!
Nitnat is offline   Reply With Quote