View Single Post
Old 06-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #10
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Yes, it would, but why would anyone use rot-13 shifted names? They only make sense if you are trying to prevent users from direct access, and providing an option to make direct access easy is contrary to that.

I agree - it's a programming point of view, but I'd like to see the effort for such a major rewrite justified. So far I've seen two justifications:
1) stability - something that does not seem to be a problem, (and I don't agree with), and
2) reducing complaints here from new users who want a different library structure - but even the OP says the abstraction needs to be buried and hidden from the newbie.

It's not enough. IMO, there are too many reasons not to do this - certainly not now.
I am not a programmer and I really don't care about
how calibre keeps by ebooks as long as I can easily access them.
I am putting this out as its an idea I had maybe my knowledge of computers is not very good and I am completely wrong

But to me making the back-end of calibre plugin based would allow for other optimizations like keeping your library in the cloud(I am using dropbox but I mean a complete cloud based solution).
Or allowing for multiple calibre instances editing the same library from what I gather the current database system cannot support.
Even people with network storage could get optimized plugins for read write.

I guess what I am talking about would require a complete rewrite actually
you would be better of starting from scratch. Now I am wondering if I should post this or will I sound like an idiot
What the hell I will post it anyway

Last edited by Dopedangel; 06-20-2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Should have read the whole thread you guys were talking about similar later
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote