View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #29
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousMe View Post
Hi folks

2) Rewriting the text so the footnote either goes into the regular text (in a parenthesis maybe), or simply goes away altogether (delete).
Definitely the best solution. I even do this with book captions in some e-books, writing the caption into the paragraph preceding the image.

In the book I'm now working on, the notes in both the print and digital editions will simply be grouped at the back of the book by chapter. Like others, I LOVE foot/endnotes, and I try to make them rewarding reading by putting in all sorts of extraneous speculations and anecdotes. (When I read a well-cited book, I keep a Post-It note in the back, which I advance as I read the text. Sometimes, if the notes are really good, I keep my right index finger there so I can flip back and forth.) I won't have any links, except on at the end of each chapter, so the interested reader (one reader, in all likelihood) can reward himself by reading my brilliant and wry citations.
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote